Thursday, April 01, 2004

Random Gnarblings

April 1, 2004

Gay marriage: Why is this a question? "Separate is inherently unequal." It's already in a Supreme Court case! Brown v. Topeka Board of Education, 347 U.S. 483 (1954) I saw people protesting this on the news and I felt like I was in a movie. I can't believe this is even being contested, and the fact that we're considering an amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America to ban it is simply absurd. This is not an issue the Constitution needs to be changed to accommodate, even if it does end up being federally banned.


Cloning: Human cloning research is risky ethical ground, but a complete U.N. ban is not going to accomplish anything, and refusing government grants for experiments, if the subject is legalized as an area of study, is going to spur solely commercial research. This field of biotech is so rich with possibilities that I find it ludicrous to even postpone inquiry, let alone ban it altogether. I'll be the first to oppose claiming cloned people are property or cloning of people solely for organs, but the research is the only way we're going to find techniques for growing only a heart, or synthesizing a liter of blood from a drop.

Stem cells: Hey, the kids aren't using them.

"Under God:" I'm an American, and I'm not under God. But, then again, I haven't said the pledge of allegiance since I gave up my religion habit, either. Now, years down the road, if I run for president, am I going to be tarred for stating in a public forum that I haven't pledged my allegiance to my country since I was 11? Take out the offending phrase, lest I be accused of being unpatriotic. Yet again.

Patriotism: It doesn't mean saying your government is right all the time.

Abortion: I'm adopted, so my view on this one is a bit skewed, but I do think it should be legal. There's too much controversy over too wide a range, and no way to answer the question. If you're against it, don't do it. If you're against it, help deal with overpopulation a different way and adopt one of the kids that are already waiting for a home.

Do these things piss you off too? Do I piss you off? SauceFiller@hotmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home