Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Censorship & Stupidity

March 16, 2004

I hate Janet Jackson's boob. Thanks to one measly nipple broadcast into thousands of wholesome American homes and millions of homes belonging to the rest of us, the GOP has seen fit to attempt the enactment of some more stupidness. Rep. Fred Upton's Broadcast Decency Enforcement Act of 2004, which steeply raises the fines for violating decency standards for both broadcasters and performers from tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars, passed in the House recently by a whopping 391-22, heavily backed by the Bush administration. The wording is vague, the purpose unclear and the reactionism so thick you can smell it. Write your senator and ask him or her to vote no on bill S. 2056.


That out of the way, I must protrude my proboscis into local matters, namely the thus far relatively quiet SGA presidential race betwixt Mindy McConnell and Dustin Floyd. Mindy is a nice girl with a heart of gold who's been in several of my classes and somehow managed to stay on top of three semesters of Latin that left me panting in the corner, but what I want to talk about this week is what an idiot this Dustin Floyd guy is, and how I would urge you to vote for whatever the alternative to this self-serving hate-monger might be, even if it's a dead koala that's been packed into a fire extinguisher.

I don't imagine too many of you remember the race between Stacy Cosby and Floyd a couple of years back, but that got rather ugly, with ol' Dustin attacking the Scholars' College and throwing around words like "commie" in the Editorial section of this very student paper. He accused those of us who cared to point out his obvious inadequacies of being "flower-eating hippies."

So, in addition to fighting censorship, I also come to encourage fighting stupidity. Dustin Floyd wants the presidency for his sixth year as an undergraduate at NSU, a move I wouldn't take seriously from anyone I wasn't so sure was so clueless. Vote for Mindy McConnell. Or a lamp post. But not Dustin.

By the way, Mindy wouldn't comment on what a scumbag Dustin is; she's smart enough to avoid an open war of rude words in a public forum immediately before an election, unlike some Young Republicans I (Dustin) won't (Floyd) mention.

You know the drill. SauceFiller@hotmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home