Friday, June 30, 2006

That Was Too Close

For those of you who've been living under a rock at the bottom of a trench on Mars, on Wednesday the Senate failed by a single vote to pass a Constitutional ammendment giving itself the power to punish "physical desecration of the flag." To be perfectly honest, I was almost certain they would pass it this time. Nationalist sentiment in America is at a height I didn't know was possible; Ann Coulter has even published a book saying Joe McCarthy was actually a true patriot who was just demonized by a liberal smear campaign. This shit scares the hell out of me. I wonder if my law degree would be useful in Nairobi....

One other thing: I recently found a really good government tracking site. You can select your interests from a set of tags, pick a particular Congressman to watch, and monitor specific bills or committees. They publish the text of the bills and transcripts of debates on the floor, and they offer the option of daily or weekly e-mails about the issues and people you've decided to track. Needless to say, I'm keeping an eye on my Georgia Congresspeople and the judiciary committees of the House and Senate, among other things.

More later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home